Positive about Disabled People
We are very proud that we are holders of the Positive About Disability symbol by the Job Centre Plus. This symbol is awarded to those organisations that make a commitment to encouraging disabled people get back into work and make it clear to disabled job applicants that we welcome their applications and are positive about their abilities. The symbol is based on Broadland meeting the following five commitments:
- To interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a job vacancy and consider them on their abilities.
- To ensure there is a mechanism in place to discuss, at any time, but at least once a year, with disabled employees what we and they can do to make sure they can develop and use their abilities.
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment.
- To take action to ensure that all employees develop the appropriate level of disability awareness needed to make our commitments work.
- Each year, to review the five commitments and what has been achieved, to plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans.
Broadland Housing is proud to be part of the Mindful Employers Scheme. Mindful Employer is about increasing awareness of mental health issues in the work place. Broadland is commited to supporting all employees, and believes that with the right support, people with mental health issues can and do stay in work.
As part of our commitment to the Stonewall Diversity Champions Programme and Equality and Diversity, Broadland Housing Association participates in the annual Stonewall Workplace Equality Index survey and has been making year on year improvements. Broadland is part of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme – this is Britain's good practice forum in which employers can work with Stonewall, and each other, to promote lesbian, gay and bisexual equality in the workplace.
From 2005 to 2009 the programme has grown from 100 to over 500 members. Stonewall's good practice forum presents a unique opportunity for employers to engage with one another on sexual orientation issues.
Broadland Housing Group has achieved '100 best places to work in the public/third sector' in the Best Companies Accreditation 2013!
Jonathan Austin – Founder and CEO of Best Companies said:
“I would like to congratulate Broadland Housing Group on their outstanding achievement. Our role at Best Companies is to support and encourage organisations to be great workplaces for their employees. An engaged workforce means happier, healthier, more productive and committed employees, which is clearly good news for all. We are delighted to recognise Broadland Housing Group by awarding them 1 star status in our Accreditation standard.”
The Best Companies accreditation has been established to acknowledge excellence in the workplace. Best Companies is based on the principle that highly engaged staff result in an organisation being more successful and experience growth and rates each organisation under 8 key areas that affects employee engagement in the workplace.